Sunday, May 10, 2009

Moms, They're Always Talking About Poop

Niamh went through it and now Finn is doing it too. It took forever to get Niamh to poop willingly. She would hold it in spite of suppositories and, well, I'll just stop right there but will say there was an ER visit involved...and she STILL held it. Eventually, she figured it out and poop became her friend, literally. She actually talks to it as she is doing it. When Finn started showing signs of having the same problem (too much control), Niamh tried to coach him through it. "Listen to what your poopie is telling you. 'I want to come out' (she'd say in a made up poop voice)." More coaching. "Finn, I used to have a hard time too. Now I don't, I just poop."
On Friday, when I picked them up from daycare, the teachers told me of a funny conversation between Niamh and Finn. Apparently, Finn was in his usual post-dinner stiff as a board position, trying to hold it in. Niamh told him that she has a favorite stall, "the one in the middle", that she uses because every time she goes there, she poops! She was trying to get Finn to use the middle stall as well so that he could experience its magic. She is 5 and she has a favorite bathroom stall. I Love it.

2 comments:

... said...

amazing, who knew kids did this? do they all do this? are they all holding in their poop? I have much to learn...

Anonymous said...

Oh my. she is quite the big sister coaching her lil brother!