Monday, June 28, 2010

Niamh’s Journal

Niamh's Journal 001 

I was looking through the large stack of papers that Niamh had shoved in her back pack from the last day of school. She’s a kindergarten graduate now. I found her journal.

I have been dying to get a look at this all year. Every now and then she’d bring me in the classroom and we would look for it, but for whatever reason, we could never find this one. All we could ever find was the first journal of the year. I wanted this one because I knew it contained more of her “best guess spelling”. The first journal was mostly drawings.

Understanding best guess spelling is like cracking a code. But, I think I am getting pretty good at it. It is phonics at its simplest. Just sound out the dang letter, add it to the sound of the letter before, and then the one after. Forget the letters you don’t actually pronounce when you say a word. Forget about all those rules you learn in 2nd grade. Kindergarteners don’t know those rules yet.

I was ready to sit down for a good chuckle and a challenge. I wasn’t ready for this.

Niamh's journal 002                                                                                  *My dog died*

niamh's journal 003                                                                                    *I love Eddy. He is my dog. I love Eddy. Love*

niamh's journal 004                                                                                                                                                             *I love love love Eddy*

niamh's journal 005                                                                                                                                                             *I love Jaya. I love Zoe. I love Ava. I love ?. I love Eddy. I love love Eddy*

niamh's journal 006                                                                                                                                  *I love MLK Day and I love Eddy*

Not at all what I was expecting. Sigh. Gulp. Sigh. Sniff.

10 comments:

... said...

so sad.

malia said...

Eddy is smiling down from doggie heaven. Even more motivation to get a new Gus? :)

Maree said...

Kids are so much more intuitive and in tune with their feelings. But now I miss Eddy:(

Maria said...

Wow, she is a sensitive little bug. Losing a friend is a hard lesson to take. hugs to niamh! and Finn 'cause he prob misses eddy too. sad sigh!

The Hoogestraats said...

So sweet. So sad. I can't help but tear up.

AL said...

Oh Niamh :( I miss Eddy too.

Julie said...

Neevie, I mis Edey tooo!
Hee wuz such a guud dogy.
He nose you luved him as much as he luved yoo.
And that is a lot!

BTW, the cracking/breaking heart on MLK day kills me. I bet you had a good cry over this discovery, Fi.

Hugs to you all. You can borrow Lola any time you need some smelly dog kisses.

Julie said...

Neevie, I mis Edey tooo!
Hee wuz such a guud dogy.
He nose you luved him as much as he luved yoo.
And that is a lot!

BTW, the cracking/breaking heart on MLK day kills me. I bet you had a good cry over this discovery, Fi.

Hugs to you all. You can borrow Lola any time you need some smelly dog kisses.

Meg said...

Oh Eddy, oh Niamhy...my heart is broken for everybody. Kids are pretty darn amazing. So are boxers:).

Anonymous said...

Poor Niamh! I'm sure Eddy II will be on his way soon! Maybe dad will let you have Spud!